Tuesday, December 21, 2010

What's In A Name?

I often encounter people asking me the reason why and how I came up with my new nickname - Mayo

I'm surprised to learn that most of them think that it's the shortcut to mayonnaise since I'm quite a well known food enthusiast. Hmmm yeah could be... I do like mayonnaise a lot because of its richness and the effect it has on certain foods. Admit it or not, it makes food taste better and more special.. the experience is never the same....hahahah pretty much how friends describe me. =)

But honestly, there are 2 main reasons behind the new name...

1. I'm just sick and tired of people calling me MAE. I find to too common and too mediocre for a creature of my kind. Maren on the other hand is really my first name however, I prefer to be called Mae because I've only heard a few people pronounce it as I want to hear it. I often hear them say "MAH-REN" with a very strong Filipino accent. I believe my high school religion teacher Madam Marking was the only soul who was able to pronounce it so well. She said it as "Meren" like "mehh-rin." I really can't explain it but she says it with so much sophistication. *sigh*

2. Like most Pinoys, I also have a love-hate relationship with the Philippines. Despite that fact, I love being Filipino that's why I'd like to have a Filipino sounding name as well. I love the sound of artistic Filipino names such as Diwa, Diwata, Majica etc. I envy people who have such unique names and also dreamed of having my own. I noticed that most Pinoy artists that I know name their kids with such unique names. So since I was born in May, and my nickname is Mae, I thought why not simply translate it in Filipino? heheheh pretty simple yeah?

 MA-YO (mah-yoh)

I believe it fits me well! Pretty much satisfied so far. Sounds quite unique as well! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...