Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Fun Shoot with Fun People...

Never in my wildest dreams have I imagined that I would one day buy my own dslr and actually be sooo addicted to it. NEVER!

I've been exposed to all sorts of arts all my life but photography was the least I like.. in fact, I didn't even consider it as an art and I thought that one doesn't have to have any talent to do it... before, I thought anyone could take pictures and that people with cams were just pseudo-artists! Clearly, I had a very different  view about it before.
Now, I regret some of my statements... I still do think that ANYONE can take pictures though (like anyone can attempt to sing or draw) but, not everyone can easily take GOOD and MEANINGFUL ones. I guess that's where "art" kicks in. There is indeed art in photography!

It's pretty obvious how much I adore food. Food has been my primary subject for such a long time... it is one of the main reasons why I've decided to buy Maggie (my Nikon D3000).But these days, I feel the need to really practice in order to enhance my skills, get to know more about my cam and learn more about the behavior of light. I know that my cam is a very basic dslr but I'm pretty happy with it so far..fab photos doesn't wholly depend on the brand or model of the cam (well of course using a pro cam can be a plus) but more on the person's imagination and creativity.

So now I've decided to conduct a series of serious photo shoots for various subjects  and feature them here to hopefully get some honest critique from you.

For my 1st attempt, I've decided to try portraiture for I remember my teacher telling me that I should try to master the rules first before doing my wild concepts. Taming myself and strictly following rules can really be a drag but because I really really am willing to learn,I know that I should be familiar with the rules first before I break them.

So as soon as Tay Greg Valerio (one of my mentors) lent me their external flash, I immediately invited Kristel Ann Cruz (Frank's buddy) if she would like to model for me. I also invited their other fellow officemates Watcher Concepcion and Mich Cabudsan to join us. Watcher just bought a brand new Nikon D5000 so it was a good opportunity for him to get to know his cam more. We agreed to meet last July 24, a Saturday after their shift and the chosen location was UP Diliman...

It wasn't an ideal day to shoot that time for it rained the whole day but I still wanted to take my chances for I knew there would be less people in the campus.. we can have the whole place for ourselves heheheh! I had this gut feeling that I could still discover something good out of this not so ideal situation (breaking the rules again). The 4 of us marched down to the campus with our umbrellas and bags with us.. not knowing where to go.. hehehe

First Stop..... I took them to the Bahay ng Alumni so Kristel could change and do her thing while the rest of us did some test shots in preparation for the shoot. Afterwards, we went across the Bahay ng Alumni and found a nice spot at the back of the UP Theater and did some shots.
Let's take a look at the candids made by Watcher and Mich...
We stayed at the back of the UP Theater


 Krissy having a re-touch while Watcher eats his taho.

Me and Krissy getting down to business.

A photo of me acting like I know what I'm doing.

Now, let me show you my shots .....
The theme was all about "Krissy the Blogger" so I asked her to bring some stuff which would symbolize her love for writing.

One of my favorite shots..I like symbols a lot and I think this fits her well.

Krissy the writer..
Krissy the kikay...
love the nails...
Krissy in action...
I love this angle.. looks mysterious..
same shot with a different effect.. so modern!!
Fresh and vibrant!
Pure and naive..
hehehehe not so serious this time

A whole body photo of Krissy taken at a very familiar place but during a very rare moment.
Now this is what I'm talking about....UP turned into a ghost town.. a kodak moment indeed!!


Despite the rains... it turned out to be a perfect day!!!
The fun shoot turned out to be really really fun!!
I'd like to thank Krissy, Mich and Watcher for their time. I enjoyed every minute of it! I'm also very proud of the shots I made that day! Success! I believe I still need to shoot more portraits and get to know more and more people who can pose for me.

Before I end this entry, here's my favorite self portrait made my tay Greg Valerio and nay LA Dacula.. my mentors in photography. I love this shot a lot for its simplicity and 'coz of my Mona Lisa smile. Hope one day I can also take a photo as dramatic as this.

I found a new passion and I may say I feel more complete than ever. Commitment and perseverance are just some of the characteristics I possess which I am truly proud of. Photography is something which I would like to seriously explore so I plan to stay focused and ever eager to improve.

I hope and wish that you may also find your passion in life. Like what I always say in my entries.. find your happiness and never be afraid to explore your world!

Watch out for my next entry.. I'm still thinking on the subject which I will feature... hmmmmm any suggestion?

Wishing you all a splendid weekend once again!!

3 comments:

  1. I like! Thanks again Ate Mae for thinking of me, super touched ako :) :) :)

    Take lots of photos pa, enjoy life! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. heheh ur welcome! ikaw talaga una kong naisip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much 'te mae! Ur awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...