Friday, July 23, 2010

A Trip To The Coconut House

I'm not really much of a Coconut (Buko) fan myself but I do enjoy a glass of coconut water or Buko Juice from time to time but that's just about it! I'm well aware that we can make lots of products out of coconuts but in terms of food, we Filipinos would often associate it with desserts like, buko ice cream and buko salad but never have I heard of buko being integrated into main dishes... until I discovered THE COCONUT HOUSE!!!!

When I first saw this place being featured on local TV, I was really skeptical about it especially when they featured Pancit Buko.. Buko strips replacing egg noodles?? Sounds crazy but judging from the looks of it and the people actually eating it... hmmmm This I gotta try!

Last week, I found myself in yet another food adventure with Badeth feeling really curious on what we're about to experience since this is our 1st time. So there we were.. waiting for our orders..




Good thing we only live minutes away from the Quezon Memorial Circle so it was very easy for me and Badeth to reach the place.



Here are the pics...



 For our beverages.. Badeth never fails to order iced tea... Buko Iced Tea (35php) to be precise! ...You guessed it right! It's made from simple Buko juice infused with regular tea powder. Why the hell didn't I think of that? As for me, of course... Hot Buko Tea (55php)! Same idea with the cold version.. I regret ordering this though 'coz it's more expensive! hihii

Buko Trio Special (110Php)
Fortunately for us, dessert came in 1st! I requested the waiter to give us their house specialties so this is one of his recommendations.
Their dessert sampler plate consists of Buko Salad, Native Suman (rice cake) with Coco Jam and a scoop of Buko Ice Cream! I'm not a big fan of Buko salad so obviously, I enjoyed the other two.. specially the Suman!











 Coco Okoy (65Php) -
Crispy  fried to perfection! Tastes like your regular okoy plus buko strips of course! I believe the coconut strips blended really well with
the other ingredients. I enjoyed this dish a lot!!








 Pancit Buko (89Php) Regular -
And now let's meet the star of the show! hmmmm
Buko strips replacing egg noodles?? This idea is just insane!!! I was completely blown away...waaaahhhh
It looks just like your ordinary pancit canton though, but right after the 1st bite, you'll definitely  feel the texture of the coconut strips minus its sweet aftertaste! I would have say, it was done really well! My mind kept saying, "NO! This can't be pancit!" hehehe Totally mind boggling!!




 .. witness how Badeth's famous evil eyebrows raised upon seeing this dish..... It was a a very unforgettable experience for both of us. I remember her saying the word, "SARAP!" (delicious) a lot of times during the meal!
The Coco Okoy jived well with the pancit! 
Gosh....  food is indeed my primal weakness! tsk tsk tsk

 Badeth and I are just suckers for food!! 
I love hanging-out with her!!! Grrrooowlll!!


 Let's take a peek at the menu...


This place is ideal for the whole family!
Nice ambiance! The place looks very presentable and clean!
The best place to hang out after jogging around the park!
 They also sell other coconut based products.
 It seems that my partner in crime couldn't get over it as well!



As for me, I'm just one happy happy food blogger as usual!!
I'll definitely come back soon (I plan to invite my parents)!



Realizations: "Life is short! Eat dessert first!" A famous tag line from a famous chef friend of mine (Buddy Trinidad). And because life is indeed very short, we should never be afraid to try new things! Experiment, explore, innovate..break the rules from time to time...shake your world a little! Reward yourself a lot!!!

This has been your weekly food sucker, wishing you a fun-filled weekend!




2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...