Thursday, January 6, 2011

CHIC or CHEAP? hmmmm

During my recent trip to the skin clinic for my regular cleaning (yes girls, we do have to seriously take care of our skin), As I was waiting for my turn I couldn't help but notice this woman who was having an argument over the phone. She looked like she was in her 30's. She had pinkish white skin.. a mestiza. Looked quite neat with her well groomed hair. Looked like the typical materialistic woman all armored by her designer bag and jewelry... I was more into her physical appearance really, she was a head turner. The kind of girl most narrow minded Filipino men would call "ideal." 

When I was young, I felt very insecure competing with these fair skinned girls for they were more favored. Even when I trippled my efforts, those girls would still stand out. Grrrrr! Not fair I know! Good thing, I didn't really make a big issue out of it, it even became my motivation to improve myself more. I never really made any efforts to make my skin become fairer though I see so many people investing their money with expensive creams and glutathione injections just to achieve the skin tone they think would make them more attractive to the opposite sex. In my case, though I do have regular facials and checkups, I've always loved the color of my skin. I love being a morena and am proud of it. I love it because this is really who I am. I was born with this and I choose to embrace it as it is! And even if i did have the money to buy those injections.. I would never bother investing in it for I'd rather invest it on something which would enrich my mind. The world may be a cruel place for morenas like me who live in a society full of narrow minded men but what the heck! Fuck them all! lols!


nevermind the bollocks!
Ok, goin back to the woman in the clinic, she was having an argument with someone over the phone. It was business related I guess. At first she was just talking fast but it developed into something really embarrassing but she never seemed to care. I heard a lot of shouting, swearing, threats and hurtful words. I was sort of shocked for I was never exposed to that kind of environment. My mom is the only war freak relative that I know but since I grew up with my grandma during my early years, I may say I got influenced by her very calm and loving personality. Anyway, the fine looking trendy mestiza turned out to be a freaking nagger! All her "ganda" points went down the drain! Looking at her well groomed hair, expensive clothing, jewelry etc..... upon hearing her talk shit like that just totally turned me off. 
She suddenly looked so ugly to me and really felt sorry for her due to her personality. It made me realize that no amount of money can even buy class and sophistication. Looking at myself, after that realization, I felt more grateful with what I had though I was only wearing my worn out jeans, a simple tee and flops, not to mention my short pony tailed messy boyish hair, I did feel I was more educated than her. 
learn proper etiquette
Friends... Sophistication and class isn't gained from wearing the latest fashion nor is it achieved overnight. Believe me, I've met a lot of people who always follow the latest trend and brag about their new stuff but I've only seen very few who are chic.They simply don't look classy! 

So what is sophistication anyway? For me, sophistication is achieved in successfully carrying yourself.  
Your body language (how you walk, move) the words which you utter and most of all your confidence!

Sophistication shines from within and if you have it, you will always carry it with you no matter what clothes you wear or wherever you may be. It is something which never fades as seasons go by and is something which sets you apart from the rest. And I believe only a true gentleman with good taste can spot this kind of woman.hehehe

So how can you achieve this? I often get a lot of these questions from girls. The answer is very SIMPLE! Just stay and be SIMPLE. A no brainer!

1. Learn. Learn proper etiquette (it won't hurt to know social graces). Learn how to walk properly and learn proper gestures. The is an art to everything. Even when in holding a martini glass or a beer bottle.

2.Develop your personality by investing wisely... Invest in your MIND for it is our primary weapon (smile is #2). 

3.Expose yourself to different cultures. Watch cable tv instead of  pathetic pinoy dramas (I love my country but I don't love Pinoy showbiz).

4. Be yourself. Be confident! I need to write a separate article for this.

5.If you wanna speak in English, make sure you speak with correct grammar and proper pronunciation. Learn if you must! Read more!

6.With regards to talking dirty and swearing... there is an art to that too! How do you say the "F" word without looking cheap?  hahaha You'd have to meet me personally so I can teach you how it's done with class!

7. Broaden your  horizons, expose yourself to the arts a little.

8.Seek people the right people and allow them to influence you if you know it's gonna do you good.

9.Enhance your features by applying the right amount of make-up (unless you're a clown)

10. Be polite. Watch your words because our words tell a lot about who we really are.

...Oh and one last tip, if you're gonna do all these things, DO IT FOR YOURSELF.. not for anyone else. Not to just impress some loser dude or to be accepted in a group or so.... Do it because YOU know you need it and because you wanna feel good about yourself! THINK CHIC!


my idol Mademoiselle Chanel: the epitome of class. The one who proved the world that simplicity is beauty!
Simplicity my friends.  

Let your natural radiance shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...