Friday, August 20, 2010

My Roots: Revealed


 
This week, I'd like to discuss about commitment, passion and my early years...

One thing I really like about myself is my passion and commitment to the arts..I didn't come from a family of artists. I have no idea where I got my talent from..both may parents couldn't paint, though my dad took up architecture.. he wasn't really into it for he excelled as a motivational speaker. He could hardly carry a tune, also suck at dancing (sorry Dad, have to be honest!). My mom on the other hand
doesn't know how to draw. She did study to play the keyboard but couldn't follow proper tempo. She loved music a lot.. but music didn't love her back. hihihihi (i bet they'd kill me if they find out about this) I once asked them of any ancestors or relatives who were into performing arts.. my mom did mention some old story
but was never really confirmed so I therefore somehow conclude that... I didn't inherit my love for the arts to my  family. So how the hell did I become a sucker for the arts??

... you see, I didn't have any talented parents but it was through  their early influence and support which molded me into who I am today.


Let me tell you about my early years...

I'm an only child. The sole survivor after 2 miscarriages my mom had. Since I was the unica hija, I was raised in a typical middle class family as a spoiled brat! I was made to believe that we were filthy rich for we had a Mercedes Benz, a big house and ate corned beef regularly! We didn't have a German Shepherd as our house dog but we did have a mixed breed dog  named Breshneb who attacked me when I was 10months old! During my early years, mom had a hard time in "taming" me. I wasn't a typical brat.. I was a pain in the ass! 
Let me show you some pictures from my early years...


One of my early photos when I was 5 months old in my Lola's (grandma's) room

Here's a photo of me with one of my baby sitters with our family dog Breshneb during the time I was learning on how to walk.
Another photo of me while learning how to walk.
This is quite embarrassing but what the heck! Look at that grin..I look and feel like a fool!!
Definitely a Lolo's (grandfather's) girl!!
My 1st Birthday!! Love the cake!! I have no idea who those kids are! hihihi
During my 2nd birthday!!

I used to have a lot of toys.. Legos and Barbie dolls. I didn't enjoy them for long because of my terrible behavior.. I'd put real lipstick and draw doodles on my doll's faces then attempt to erase them afterwards.. by the time I get frustrated, I behead them and throw them away for I know "lola" would buy me a new one right away.hehehe Also, I'd spend hours and hours singing/acting the mirror while applying my mom's make up. I was quite weird and eccentric. I remember mixing her lotions, perfumes, and cosmetics in small cups like a witch preparing a deadly potion. If I'm not mistaken, I even drank the concoction once (Brute and some lotion).. I almost died of poisoning myself.  I was indeed a "Maldita" the Spawn of Satan!! ahahahah 
Hobby: to roam around the house...

mess with the furniture...... ( don't be fooled by the cuteness)

...stick chewing gums and write doodles on the tables....throw the pillows everywhere....

....then take a nap under the table


Ate chocolates like mad! I was often called a bad girl!

But since I was their favorite... they'd love me no matter what!! aawww!!!

I was a kindergarten drop-out.. yes, really! They had no choice but to let me stop due to my uncontrollable wild behavior. As soon as I enter the classroom, I'd start crying until all the other children started crying as well. I never wanted to be left alone. I wanted my mom to never leave my sight or else.. all hell would break loose! I was a victim of discrimination that time. My other "elite" classmates didn't want me to "belong" to their respective groups for reasons like my skin wasn't fair enough or my dress that day wasn't pink enough for them. hehehe With that I learned to somehow be independent but I did become a loner.
I didn't have a lot of friends that time. I preferred staying at home. I became so fascinated with the tape recorder given to us by my aunt. I'd spend hours and hours singing and recording various sounds.. making my own stories and dramas. I was 4 yrs old that time. It was the time when I outgrown dolls and toys.  
 The young brat doing her thing...

with one of my soon to be destroyed dolls

A silly pose during one of our family reunions.. I was quite an anti-social kid before so I was dead bored during this time.. not to mention I was forced to wear this ugly dress!!!

Taken during my 4th birthday.. I had 3 cakes during that time!!
Here's another photo showing the 2nd cake

Photo around 1984 I guess along with my lovely aunts!!


1986 - After the Edsa revolution, my parents separated. Mom and I had to move. Good thing my aunt who was based in Saudi Arabia that time just bought a house in Fairview so that's where we moved. My health condition became worse. I was asthmatic since birth and during that time, I had Primary Complex (like Tuberculosis) and was on a 1 yr treatment. It was really tough. We received no support from Dad but we did get help from my grandparents for they really loved me a lot. The devilish senyorita became a pauper! No more fancy toys and dresses. No more shopping at Greenhills and Makati. A year after treatment, mom enrolled me at the nearby elementary school which is just 50 steps from the house. Many of our relatives ridiculed us and got angry at mom when they heard I was to study in a public school and not in a Montessori. Though during that time, my grannies can afford to send me to an expensive school, they allowed my mom to decide what's best for me. And during that time, she wanted me to learn about the realities of life at an early age. She wanted to expose me to real people so that I could be humble so she sent me there. I believe this is one of the best decisions she has ever made and I really thank her for doing it because is was during these days when I got exposed to music, arts and cooking.
 
My ever playmate: Mom

Prim and proper with panties exposed!! ahahaha Parental Guidance Needed!

It was during these elementary years when I started exposing myself into arts and music.
Since we hardly had money for toys, I spent my afternoons in our music room listening, singing and even dancing to music tapes of my aunt. She has a huge collection of tapes and a couple of cds which are still existing up to this day. 2 tapes a day I guess. She had hundreds of them ... Tears for Fears, The Police, Dionne Warwick, The Carpenters, The Rolling Stones, Diana Ross, Burt Bacharach, Stevie Wonder, The Beatles, Elvis Presley, Matt Monroe, Astrud Gilberto.. and the list goes on! woahhh so many influences.. no wonder I became a musician!

Our house in Fairview and the Music Room where all the magic took place!!

It was also the time when mom started introducing me to the wonders of cooking. I'd watch her marinade and bake goodies.. the best part was when she would let me handle the whisk and ladles as well. By the time I was in my 2nd grade, I was able to prepare my own breakfast and even cook pastas. Mom is indeed a great teacher! Also, as early as the 2nd grade, I became a Beatle fanatic! I remember waking up very early just to listen to the Beatles hour around 5-5:30am at DWKC before I head to school. They had so many songs, so many albums..but I had limited money so I had to wait for my monthly allowance given by Lolo and Lola so mom and I could visit the record bar in Cubao so I could buy a new Beatles tape. Usually, I'd just record the songs directly from the radio. Growing up being a Beatles fan was a journey for I got to appreciate more of their songs as time went by. I was quite eccentric that time for the other school kids liked the latest pop singers during that era. It was rare to find a grade school girl being into 60's music during the late 80's. I didn't mind.

During the 3rd grade, I started learning how to read notes and play the keyboard and

by the time I was in the 4th grade, I joined the Rondalla group in our school. When I reached the 5th grade, I was chosen to join the Young Writer's Competition and got my 1st lessons on creative writing from Mom. I was very very busy that time.. I joined all school clubs and excelled in all of them. I joined academic contests and received a lot of awards. I enjoyed every single experience. Those were the good old days and I thought it would never end. Graduation day came..a time for goodbyes but I remember not being sentimental at all for I knew my journey has just started. And I made sure it never stopped for in the next chapter of my life was when I discovered more talents.
During my 3rd grade

As you can see.. it all boils down to dedication and commitment plus with solid support from your family of course. I had the best teacher in the form of my Mom! I have dedicated my life to the arts and have learned to stand up for the music which I love and believe in...I believe that the journey goes on. As what my father taught me.. "Seek knowledge from cradle to grave!" I know I still have a lot to discover, more talents to pursue, music to write, wonders to make and people to inspire. And with this I may say, Yes, I do live a perfect happy life...It may not fit the usual standard wherein happiness is measured by material possessions.. I believe I possess things which are more valuable..things  which money can never buy... self fulfillment, pride and great great memories which I dearly treasure.
A girl still overflowing with dreams and ideas...

I hope you liked my story this week. It's actually my 1st ever time to reveal detailed things about my childhood. I hope you liked it!

See yah all next time!!

Love always,
Mae

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...