Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Story Behind the Winning Photo....

I'm currently at my busiest week this year in preparation for a very much awaited SKA event in our country.
Being the central contact person and one of the main organizers for the event is really one stressful task for I have to carefully balance my work as a teacher/team manager and an event organizer. I don't even know how the hell I was able to write this blog entry
today. I guess I just need a breather! Phew! Somebody save me!

For this week, I'd like to tell you about something big which happened to me.
2 weeks ago I entered my teacher's (James Nicolay) Monthly Photo Contest on Facebook.I was quite hesitant at first for I felt it was too soon to join since I only started last April this year. Though I've been religiously practicing every weekend (take a look at my 140 albums on FB), I believe that my skills need more fine tuning. Also, I never had any formal lessons on photo editing so I'm really looking forward to enroll in the coming months.

Anyway, I've only decided to join a day before the deadline. I've been thinking of a concept for quite some time but I wasn't really satisfied it would work (I'm not pleased with the "usual" stuff). I also consulted some of my friends for ideas. I know my teacher really has a highly sophisticated "eye" not to mention the many good students which he has. I've got nothing to lose anyway, at least I tried. So there I was, walking around the city, with no direction and idea in mind. I've decided to meet  some long time friends and supporters from our scene. I asked them to take me to a place where I can take pictures. We strolled along the streets of Cubao in Quezon City. At first, we went to a place where graffiti artists were working on some project..  the colors were very eye-catching however, I didn't find any subject fit for the theme which were about "LINES." 

I felt I wasn't inspired enough that day so I  gave up and invited them to the nearest McDonald's to grab some tummy treats! Fortunately, just before reaching the highway, we happend to pass by a tiny old store and sitting just right outside was an old woman possibly in her 70's with so many wrinkles on her face. I was stunned... but went on walking... but just after some steps... I knew I had to stop and take a U turn. I was convinced she was the answer to my prayers! I remember asking my friend Smee if I should approach the old lady or not. He said, "Ate Mae! Eto na ang hinahanap mo! Ang sagot sayo'ng mga dasal! Eto na ang LINES!!"
I was hesitant of course, how am I gonna convince her that I badly need to take her picture? I'm used to talking with strangers but not like this. Anyway, I don't wanna have any regrets... so I followed my guts and took the risk!

I politely approached her, introduced myself and told her my request. She refused as expected.. she probably thought I was crazy! I told her I needed  to take her picture for a "class project" ( I felt my nose extending a mile!). She was really grumpy! Didn't like the idea at all! She said she was too old and ugly and was somewhat allergic to photos! Despite the countless rejections from her, I was really really determined that I was never gonna leave without a shot! I think I already said all the possible alibis and "pagpapacutes" but Lola's defenses were really strong! Her daughter and granddaughter were convincing her to say yes. I even offered her a small amount of money to somehow cover for the inconvenience. Her daughter said to take the offer so she could buy her favorite tabacco! After 15 grueling minutes, Lola finally said yes just as long as I do it quickly.  Good thing I already prepared the ideal settings in my mind beforehand (you never know when kodak moments will happen). I immediately took snapshots.. tried different angles to emphasize the facial lines. I only took a few shots.. I guess less than 15 for I didn't want to look impolite. I thanked her and handed her the tabacco budget hehehehe
....... it was time to celebrate!

After having a few drinks, I immediately enhanced the photos (adjustments on contrast temperature with a slight touch of High Dynamic Range effect (HDR) and emailed them to sir James along with a prayer in mind that he'll hopefully have mercy on my entry! hehehe

Without further adieu, let me show you the post processed shots I made...

In this shot, I wanted to focus more on the forehead

Lola was just perfect!

A silly shot I did about lines... since I'm a big fan of cheese and I'm quite known of posting korny lines on Facebook. I came up with my literal version of CHEESY LINES!

and the winning entry......

"Ang mga Guhit sa Mukha ni Lola Sungit"

As soon as the finalists were posted, I felt very happy and honored to see my work! The other finalists were very very good! Their photos were superb! I wish to someday be able to take shots which are as good as theirs. Many people admired the photo and said my attack on the theme was very unique and artistic. I feel really happy whenever I read those comments!

If I were to give a critique to my photo... hmmm dunno... I'm actually out of words. I'm not really good with words (believe me!) for I think I'm more of a "feeler" (if there is such a word)... but I do feel that there is something special with this picture that's why it garnered the most number of "like" votes on Facebook. I remember how I felt while clicking my shutter...I knew I was at the right place at the right time, doing the right thing! I felt mystery in her eyes.... telling me a thousand stories.. imagine the countless experiences she has surpassed. If you see her condition, you'd surely go teary-eyed.

I did some campaigning of course but it was really easy because many strangers voted for my entry due to it's X-factor!

On the last day of the competition, I was surprised to see Frank's critique on my photo.. (his entry for the critiquing contest)

here's what he posted...

"The concept of old-age was completely out-of-the-box.

It was beyond the usual idea of "LINES", yet has maintained faithful on the theme.
It carries a meaning with different interpretation, making the photo more interesting.

......Raw shot made it appear more natural and realistic.
The texture of skin, chapped lips, pierced ear and gray-color hair were captured greatly.

The photo carries a charisma that trigger one's heart, as captured by the lens.
Hence, TWO THUMBS UP to its owner!

(also,i really like the background, it tells a new different story in the photo)" - Frank Ruaya

.... I was blown away with his critique.. never thought he had talent in writing. I was very impressed......
......and guess what? He won!!! yipee!! 
 the nut heads did it again! Apir!

When sir James announced my entry as the winning photo, it felt like heaven! Winning the grand prize in the 1st ever photo competition I joined was really something! Maybe I do have a future in photography. Who knows? I won 2,000php while Frank won 500php. We were the 2 big winners that day!!

... it was not really about the money. It was definitely a morale booster for me! A sign that I should keep on learning and improve my craft. Entering photography was never my plan this year, I just followed what the universe had to offer. Never thought I had a talent in taking photos. As you all know, I've been struggling to heal my broken heart for a year now. "When God closes a door, He will definitely open a bigger window." I guess this is just one of those big windows. hehehe 

I still have a lot to learn and I need more and more practice... I wonder what will happen next... just wait and see!!!

Before I end this article, allow me to thank the following people who have helped me a lot specially his year..

James Nicolay - for being a great great teacher and for his inspiring blog entries and photos
Frank Ruaya - for introducing me to the world of photos. The only person who can clearly interpret my shots.His  thoughts and critiques are just brilliant! kudos!
Michelle Villas - a newly found very good friend. I feel very at ease with her!
Badeth Compuesto - the ever ready photo/foodie buddy. For always being there during photo shoots.
My Dad - for convincing me to buy a DSLR instead of an ipad. Great choice!!
My Mom - for being ever so patient with me and for supporting me in all my endeavors.
LA Dacula and Greg Valerio - my mentors.. for the countless tips and for inviting me to lots of shoots

.. and to all the rest of my ever supportive friends ( you know who you are)!




3 comments:

  1. ipinanganak kang wagi!

    palakpakan para sa iyo!


    aprub na aprub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really deserve it Ate Mae! I'm really happy for you, congratulations! :) Malayo pa ang mararating mo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. berigud!
    congrats.. yey!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...