Thursday, March 4, 2010

V-Day with Mom at Luk Yuen

This year's V-day was way different as compared to all my past V-days where I spent it with a boyfriend. I believe this year is truly a special one because I spent it with someone who loves me truly and unconditionally.... my mom!

Being the "unica hija," she has no other choice but love me! ahahahah We'd occasionally have our share of light arguements due to our differences in music, movies and views about life in general but still ofcourse.. no matter what happens, I'd still be there for her. I'll never forget the countless sacrifices she made in order for both of us to survive.

When my parents separated in '86, mom and I moved to Fairview and basically that's where all the adventure started.... Aside from dear grandma, she's one of my primary influences when it comes to food and cooking. We shared 6 yrs together before returning to my grandparent's care.

We lived a hard life but honestly speaking... I never felt poor during that time. If my memory serves me right, my activites during that time were spending hours singing in front of the mirror, making greeting cards, forging my mom's signature (yes i really did) and hanging out in the kitchen helping mom in baking goodies! I'd get so excited whenever she'd let me hold the whisk and bowl! I felt sooo in control! My favorite was when she taught me how to make the Lemon, Lime and Orange cheesecake!




Anyway, let's now concentarte on this V-day feature before this article turns into a novel..... Last V-day, I invited her to have lunch with me at our favorite place at Mega Mall. I noticed that my mom would often ask for Chinese food whenever we'd go out. So far, we've visited quite a number of places but Luk Yuen still remains our favorite. Their food is very affordable and they use fresh and very good quality ingredients!
After ordering, the waiter gave us free appetizers and Oolong tea!

Special Udon with Seafood (180php)-
We adore this dish a lot! It tastes so fresh and flavorful.
It has lots of big shrimps, fish fillet, squid, shitake mushrooms
and fresh veggies. The texture of the udon is superb! I like it a bit spicy
so I always ask for garlic chilli sauce!
Next in line are their dimsums to die for....

Vegetable and Shrimp Dumplings (80php)- I'm simply speechless. Can't really find the words to describe this irresitable treat!. The freshness of the greens and the natural sweetness of the prawns made me feel like falling in love once again! Shrimp Dumplings (80php) - Mom's favorite no doubt! For me they're the best shrimp dumplings you can find in town. I've compared this with the others.. What separarates them from the rest is that they use big juicy shrimps instead of the small cheaper variety served in other restos.
Crispy Shrimp Puffs (90php)- Shrimps wrapped in fancy looking lumpia wrapper then deep fried until golden brown.  The presentation looked ok though. As you can see, they made it look like a flower or something. It tasted very good but I'm not a big fan of fried dimsum for  I prefer the steamed ones.

After spending the entire afternoon in the mall, mom and I decided to have some tea and cake as our finale before heading home. For dessert, we went to Sugarhouse.As expected, I ordered a slice of their version of New York Cheesecake. hmmm It was ok (for me nothing beats the cheesecake at Chateau Verde).. too sweet perhaps so I had to order a cup of my favorite Chamomile tea to achieve balance. Mom ordered a slice of Apple Pie and boy was I more impressed with it than with the cheesecake. hihihihi It wasn't overly sweet and I liked how the grated cheese and whipped cream complimented the whole treat! Ooohh lah lah!Bonding time with deary Mom is something which I consider priceless. For most of us hopeless romantics, we would often search for that special someone to hopefully give us joy and complete our lives blah blah.., yet we usually take for granted the ones who never leave our side. Let's make our parents always happy ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...